Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Advice I would give to my 20 year old self

We all have regrets in life, we all say: "If I only knew then what I know now."  We would all, anyone over 40 anyway, would love to go 'Back to the Future' if possible.

I've been thinking about this topic recently.  Maybe watching grown kids heading down a path that might lead to disaster, maybe not standing their ground when it's needed, whatever the reasons, it has been on my mind.

Here is some advice I would give to myself, hopefully I would listen and take heed.

A} In a relationship, stand up for yourself, have more confidence and say so when you don't like what may be going on.

B} No, your 20's do not last forever, so make the most of them.  Cultivate a career, be a better parent, listen to your gut feelings.

C} Remember that life is not high school.  Be yourself, no matter what others think, be true to your passions.

D} Don't allow anyone else to sway you, to try and turn you into someone you are not. You have to live in your own skin a very long time.

C} Do not think the first love who comes along will always be your last.  He may not be your last chance for happiness, marriage or a good life.  You're young, shop around, be picky and be happy.

D} Get to know yourself before having a relationship.  The relationship you have with yourself is the most important one you can work on, early, when young.  Know who you are, where you want to go, what your likes and dislikes really are.

E} If things aren't going well, have the courage and conviction to stand up and say so, no matter what others think. 

These things are but some of the items I would advise myself if I had the opportunity to do so.

How about you?  Do you have any advice you would like to share?  Feel free to do so.  I'd love to read about it.